Verizon is one of the largest telecommunication company whose headquarters resides in New York, United States. Verizon provides wireless products and different services. These services include voice, data and video facilities. Apart from these it is well known for providing services like Broadband Internet Access in smartphones, basic phones, tablets, netbooks and other wireless devices.
Additionally, in 2019 Verizon have introduced Fios Home Router. This facility can maximize your Fios, 5G connection and High-Speed Internet (DSL) connection. Verizon offers two options a Fios or DSL connection. It is observed that majority of people go for Fios because Fios works on fibre optics which provides great speed and other additional facilities. Moreover, Fios is different from normal cable as it is made up of hair-like strands known as fibre optics. There are number of advantages for fibre optics.
As it is best at providing high bandwidth there is no cable in the market which can provide bandwidth as that of fibre optic cable. Furthermore, security is one of the most important factors require in any device. Hence, fibre optic is great in providing security. Unlike other cables fibre optic can tolerate water and temperature fluctuations thus, physical environment is not a drawback for fibre optics. Apart from this it is very small in size and is much more flexible than normal cables. So, the main reason behind the popularity of Fios is fibre optics.
If accessing Fios is a tedious task for you then DSL is also a good option to enjoy high-speed internet. DSL is Digital Subscriber Line it can establish internet connection with the help of local phone line. It uses different frequencies for phone and internet so you can use both at a time. There are some advantages associated with DSL like it is cost effective, like Fios it is secure and it is reliable.
For both Fios and DSL users installing and setting up device is an essential process. In the following tutorial, we have tried to explain how to log into Verizon device and configure various settings to give best performance and appreciable speed.
How to Login to A Verizon Router
If you are Fios user then you are blessed with many of its features. Which are faster uploads, great download speeds. The reason behind this is Fios device produce signals about 40-60% faster as compared to other internet devices. It’s a common belief that services with extra features is often difficult to install or configure. But it is not the case with Fios. Fios devices are easy to setup and have simple login steps.
You can install services at your home as Verizon provides you with the facility of home delivery. Or you can purchase it from one of its stores. And if you are thinking of switching to other service, firstly install your Fios device and make sure to have internet service before turning off the old service.
To install your Fios Router
For installing Fios device follow the given steps below:
- First and fore most unpack your Verizon box and make sure that you have all the essential parts like coaxial cable, an Ethernet cord, a power adapter and a device itself.
- It is suggested to choose the center of the house as a proper location to get access to uninterrupted internet access. Hence, it is very important to have good location for the installation.
- After that, disconnect all the wireless items like Smart TVs, gaming devices and tablets with proper care.
- Following the above step, now you have to insert one end of coaxial cable into the port on the back of your device. And use the other end of the wire to connect to wall outlet in your home. Always remember that if your service support more than 100 Mbps, then connect ethernet cable to the white ethernet port which resides on the back of your device. Insert other end of the cable to the wall jack in your home.
- Now, take the A/C power cord and connect it to the back of your device. And use the other end to connect to wall outlet.
- After this step, you are almost done as your device will turn on in very short time period as it is connected to a power source. Device will take around fifteen to twenty minutes to turn back on.
It is often observed that your device may turn off and on during this process. So, when you see solid green lights on the back of your device and solid white light on the front then your device is turned back on.
If there is no green and white lights and you observe the solid red light, then there is something definitely wrong with your connection. Unplug the cords from the device and setup the process again. If you are still unable to stop red light from blinking then contact Verizon support.
To log into your FIOS device
Follow the steps given below to establish a connection with internet and log into your device.
- Once you are successful in turning on the device, establish an internet connection using either a hardwired or a wireless connection.
How Do I Use a Hardwired Connection?
Establishing a hardwired connection is to connect your computer directly to the device. So, for the hardwired connection you need to build a system with the help of ethernet cable. Firstly, insert one end of the ethernet cable to one of the four yellow Ethernet ports on the back of your device. Then place the other end of the Ethernet cord into the Ethernet port on your computer. Now, to check whether you got access to internet connection or not open any internet browser and see if it opens correctly or not.
How Do I Connect to my Device Wirelessly?
In order to establish wireless connection on your smartphone or any other device, look on the side of your device for the sticker which have credentials printed on it. These credentials include network name and SSID password.
Always keep in mind that there are two names for each bandwidth. Which means you will have different name for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth. And it is very important for you to understand features and difference between them 2.4 GHz has better range, so it is better for the wireless devices like smartphones and tablets. While 5 GHz has better speed but lesser range hence, it is better for various streaming devices such as smart TV and gaming console.
Now, on your device look for the wireless connection which is similar to SSID network name. click on that connection and then enter the password which mentioned on the side of the router. Then, click on connect to establish a connection. After that, in order to verify whether you are connected to internet or not open your favourite browser to see if it worked or not.
- Once you are successful in opening internet browser, you will automatically be directed to Verizon official website. Follow the steps below to register yourself and for proper installation of your router.
Logging into your device after installation
If you have completed your installation, you can change your settings by logging into Verizon router. And it is suggested to follow the given steps after completing installation.
- On the devices like computer or tablet, open internet browser.
- Then, enter router’s default IP address which is present on the side of your device. It is named as “Administration URL”. It is important to note that your router’s IP address will depend on your device’s model which is generally 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.250, or myfiosgateway.com.
- After logging in enter the default username and password.
These credentials will be different for different devices. It is recommended to always check for the “Administration” username and password. If you are unable to find “Administration” username, then go for “admin” username. Likewise, if “Administration” password is absent then, your default password is “password”. It is observed that majority of Verizon items use default username as “admin” and password as “password”. If you are facing difficulty in logging in then consult manual for proper credentials.
And always keep in mind that you will not have to type username or password if you are connected to the router with hardwired connection.
- After following all of the above steps you have logged into router’s main menu. Here you can configure various settings and can increase security of your device.
Verizon FIOS app is also a great option for logging into your device. Since, it can help you in monitoring your device wirelessly. You can download this application from google play store or apple play store depending upon your operating system. You can log in using My Verizon account information. Here, you can manipulate changes, and can also monitor internet use.
How to Reset Verizon Router
There may be a scenario where there is flaw in installation, you are facing problem with logging into your device. Or there may be the case where Verizon router is not performing well. Hence, in all of such cases you require to reboot or reset your Verizon router.
How to Reboot a Verizon Router
Rebooting must be opted when there is an issue with connection or speed. To reboot your Verizon router is to turning it off and turning it back on again. Remember that rebooting a Verizon router doesn’t affect your router’s settings.
Given the steps below to reboot your device.
- First of all, remove the plug of your router from the wall outlet.
- Then, leave the router unplugged for one minute.
- After that, take A/C power cord and reconnect it to the wall outlet.
- Now, have some patience and wait for three minutes for router to turn back on.
- Lastly, to verify that you are connected to proper internet connection open the browser and see if it is working or not.
How to Reset a Verizon Router
Go for resetting a Verizon Router if rebooting does not work for you. Moreover, there is a difference in rebooting and resetting. Resetting Verizon router restore your device to default settings. Which are its initial settings coming from the company packed inside a box. It is recommended to reset your router when you have messed up with login information. Always remember to write any settings which you want to keep it for future, which includes your router login and SSID usernames and passwords, and your encryption settings. You can restore these settings manually after resetting Verizon router.
Given the steps below to reset your device.
- Firstly, find the reset button on your device, which is generally located inside a small hole labelled “Reset”. Which is next to the A/C power on the back of your device.
- Now, hold the “Reset” button for some time. You can hold it with the help of pen or paper clip. Further, insert the tip of a pen or an edge of unfolded paper clip into a “Reset” hole until you hear a click.
- After that, you have to hold the button for around 15 seconds. Which will lead to automatic turning off and on of the router.
- After holding “Reset” button for 15 seconds release it and you will be able to see a solid green light on the back of your device and solid white light on the front.
- Finally, you can log into your Verizon device and update your settings. You can log into Verizon router using login information listed on the side of the device.
How to configure Verizon Router
Verizon Router comes with pre-set usernames and passwords for the devices. Moreover, it also comes with usernames and passwords for the internet connection. So, it is suggested to change these credentials as soon as you log in for the first time. This will help you to keep your internet secure.
Changing device’s Username/Password
Following are the steps to change router’s default username and password.
- Commence with logging into your device with default username and password. As mentioned above these credentials are present as “Administration” on the side of your device. If it is not present then use username as “admin” and password as “password”.
- Then go to “Quick Links” section which is present in the left panel of your screen.
- Now, press “Change Admin Password” link.
- This will lead you to next page where you can enter your updated username and password in the text box.
- Finally, in order to save your changes, click on “Apply”.
Updating Wireless Security Settings
Manipulating your Verizon settings is easier than that of other interfaces as it allows you to update changes for each bandwidth. Given bellow the instruction to change the wireless security settings.
- Firstly, go to “Wireless Settings” from the main page of the menu. You can also click on “Change Wireless Settings” link which is present under Quick Links in order to go to same page.
- Now, click on “Basic Security Settings” which is at left side of the screen. If you have opted for the “Change Wireless Settings” you will automatically be directed to this page.
- After that, “1. Turn Wireless On,” press the “On” button next to 2.4GHz wireless signal and 5GHz wireless signal.
- In this step, “2. Change the SSID setting to any name or code you want,” change or edit the SSID names of both bandwidth signals in the respective text boxes. Make sure that these names must be different so it is easier for you to differentiate them. And you must be able to differentiate them when viewing in future.
- Under “3. Channel,” using dropdown menu arrow change the channels of both the bandwidths to automatic.
- Remember to “Keep my channel selection during power cycle” checked.
- After that, under “4. Wi-Fi Security” select “WPA2” Security for both the bandwidths. These are the safest security option and are at “Low” risk level.
- Now, after choosing security level for both a dropdown menu will appear asking you to change the SSID password. You can change the password for the 2.4GHz and 5GHZ connection and passwords for both the bandwidths can be same.
- Finally, “5. Write down your Wi-Fi Settings” displays Wi-Fi settings. Save these settings by writing somewhere or by taking print out of it as a backup.
- Press “Apply” to save your changes.
- After that click “OK” to confirm your changes.
- Lastly, using SSID name and password connect your wireless devices to the internet.
It is very important to logging into the router and changing the settings for home network. Once you do that, then only you can connect your device to the internet. The Fios services provides lot of features like it will allow you to browse the internet, it helps in streaming and it gives access to connect to multiple devices without any side effects like signal lag.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Do I Update My Verizon Router Software?
You need not have to take tension for the updating Verizon Router as Verizon automatically sends updates whenever required. So, there are no specific steps which are required to be completed manually.
How Do I Change My Verizon Router Settings?
For changing your Verizon Settings first of all you need to log in to your device by adding administration username and password but remember that if you have changed these credentials then use those username and password not the default ones. After logging in you will reach to router’s menu, from there you can change your settings.
Will Verizon Upgrade My Router for Free?
Verizon can upgrade your Router when you are facing problem with its performance. Moreover, if you are using same router for many years then there is a good possibility that Verizon can upgrade your router for free. Verizon will send you a new router and in return you need to send it back the old one.
Are Verizon Routers Secure?
It is observed that every Verizon Router comes with inbuilt security. And it also depends on the users to keep it safe and private. This can be achieved by changing default username and password of the device as well as SSID network name and password. You can also increase security by installing Anti-Virus software, engaging firewalls and turning off the device when not in use.
Can You Have Two Verizon Routers in One House?
The answer for this question is “Yes”. As Fios router can function both as modem and router. You can easily configure it to second device. So, when the device is configured to second device as network extender it will give you more reliable signals even in the areas where there is no chance of establishing a connection. Moreover, it is your responsibility to check whether your device is compatible with Verizon services for the best outcomes.
In a nut shell, there is no question that Verizon router are much more efficient and gives best performance than normal routers. The main reason behind this is FiOS connection which is made of fibre optics. Apart from this, even a DSL is a good option. But FiOS is more popular due to its speed and performance.
In this guide we covered all the major points from installing Verizon router to logging in to the Verizon router. Additionally, we have also covered how to reset a Verizon router with the way to reboot the router. Hence, it is highly recommended to follow the steps with proper care.
Apart from this, we discussed most frequently asked questions in FAQ section. Always remember that new questions are always welcomed so you can ask your question to us regarding this.
Thus, do share your views regarding this article in the comment section below. And tell us whether this guide helped you with Verizon Router or not. And give us your feedback on this. Thank you so much for reading.